I haven’t had much time to write this week because I was in NYC for work. But now I’m back and I’m exhausted, and hoping I can stuff enough hours of sleep into the days and nights leading up to the race so that I can actually finish without conking out on the side of the trail.
And speaking of stuffing, I have been spending just about the whole day thinking about what the hell I’m going to pack for the weekend. My friend Jason Robillard says that the amount of stuff a runner packs for an ultra is directly proportionate to the runner’s experience. And since I’m a complete noob, I pretty much plan to pack half my home. The list includes:
- Running tanks
- Capri-length running tights
- Running skirts (INKnBURN, baby!)
- Zensah calf sleeves
- Invisible Shoes (re-laced and cut shorter to better match the shape of my foot)
- Merrell Pace Gloves
- VIVO Breathos
- Merrell Dash Gloves or Vibram SeeYas
- at least 2 pairs of Injinjis
- sports bras
- albuterol inhaler
- my handheld water bottle
- my Nathan hydration vest (even though I’m 99% sure I won’t use it)
- tons of snacks
- at least 2 gallons of water
- Body Glide
- my Garmin watch
- a cooler
- almond milk
- chia seeds
- dried mangos
- whey protein
- homemade potato salad (the race director requested a food donation)
- my blender
You should notice two things here: 1. I did not list underwear. 2. yes, I said I’m bringing a blender. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.
The things I hope to learn from this weekend’s adventure are the following:
- whether I am able to run 31 miles without dropping dead or injuring myself
- what I don’t need to pack next time
- how well I can function after a week’s worth of sleep deprivation and high alcohol consumption
- why Jason Robillard insists on wearing such short shorts
The race is in three short days, readers. Wish me luck!
- A Few Pivot Points (barefoot-monologues.com)
- Review: INKnBURN Running Skirts (barefoot-monologues.com)
May 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Don’t forget to put the potato salad in a cooler full of ice!
May 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Ooh ice! Yes! Haha
May 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Wow, it’s soon! Have a killer time, and enjoy every last step!
May 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Thank you, my love!